An exotic, full-bodied, rich-textured white wine
Swirl and taste: Honeyed tangerine, peach, and apricot with honeysuckle and citrus blossom aromas.
• Shellfish―crab, prawns, scallops, lobster
• Rich fish such as black cod (sablefish) and sturgeon―especially with cream sauces
• Spice-rubbed roast chicken and turkey
• Braised or roasted root vegetables―carrots, turnips, squash
• Sauces with warm, aromatic spices
• Moroccan dishes―tagines, charmoula sauce
• Mild curries―Indian, Southeast Asian
• Fruity, spicy condiments like chutney
More tasting notes: Naturally aromatic and loaded with opulent fruit and floral qualities, Viognier from warmer regions, where the grapes ripen with abandon, can get blowsy, heavy-handed, and cloying.
In slightly cooler places, where the grapes hold on to their acidity, Viognier is leaner and less flabby―its richness is balanced with crispness.
Great recipe pairings
Vegetarian and Seafood
• Curried Mussels with Oven Frites
• Upside-down Caramelized Root Tart
• Braised Carrots with Orange and Capers
• Mango-Mint Lobster Rolls
• Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges and Queso Fresco (Ensalada de Betabel)