Tip from the test kitchen
Plenty of home cooks have kitchen scissors, but few people makemuch use of them. Yet scissors fit some tasks much better thanknives do. Here are a few of our favorite uses.
• Carve chicken. Make this job easier by using scissors toremove backbones and cut breastbones.
• Chop bacon. Quickly and easily cut bacon, pancetta, andother fatty cured meats into small pieces.
• Cut canned tomatoes. Minimize mess by using scissors to"chop" them right in the can. Drain off some of the liquid first,then point scissors down and get to work.
• Chop cooked greens. Cut large pieces of spinach and othercooked greens in the pan after cooking.
• Mince herbs. Add color and flavor to dishes by snippingfresh herbs into tiny pieces for garnish.
• Trim green beans. Cut off the ends in a snap.