Use one classic chocolate custard sauce to make a variety of desserts
- Chocolate Crème Anglaise
- Chocolate Custard Sauce with Cake and Raspberries
- Chocolate-Amaretto Semifreddo
Crème anglaise is the dessert world’s most versatile accessory, and a great addition to your entertaining repertoire. With just a few tweaks, you can turn this one sauce, rich with bittersweet chocolate, into two different desserts for your next party.
First, thin it with milk and pour over slices of cake (your own or purchased from a bakery). Then, fold in whipped cream, add amaretto, freeze, and voilà ― an elegant semifreddo.
Other crème anglaise uses
Use this versatile custard in any number of desserts. Some of our favorite options:
• In a tart: Pour into a baked pastry shell and top with raspberries.
• In a layer cake: Spread the sauce between each layer, then frost with your favorite icing.
• In chocolate cream pie: Pour into a prepared cookie-crumb crust and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
• In a parfait: Layer the sauce with vanilla crème anglaise (or vanilla pudding), almonds, and crushed meringues or shortbread cookies.
• As a pudding: Simply serve as is, with a bit of whipped cream.