Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe from The Sunset Cookbook
Makes: 10 enchiladas; 5 servings
Time: 50 minutes
- 1 lb. roasted, skin-on green New Mexico, poblano, or Anaheim chiles (see Quick Tips below)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 5 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 10 corn tortillas (7 to 8 in. wide)
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cheddar or jack cheese, divided
- 2½ cups shredded cooked chicken (see Quick Tips below)
- Sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Peel, seed, and chop chiles.
2. Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chiles, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and simmer until reduced by a third, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare tortillas: In a small frying pan, bring remaining 2 cups broth to a gentle simmer. Very briefly dip a tortilla into broth to barely soften, then transfer it to a large baking sheet; repeat with remaining tortillas (you may need two or three baking sheets). Do not overlap or tortillas will stick.
4. Divide 1¼ cups cheese among tortillas and top each with the shredded chicken. Wrap tortilla around filling and transfer, seam side down, to a 9- by 13-in. baking dish.
5. Pour chile sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining 3⁄4 cup cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbling and browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
Quick Tips: Order fresh or frozen New Mexico chiles from the New Mexican Connection (newmexicanconnection.com). Or, to roast them yourself, broil the chiles until blackened all over; let sit until cool, then peel off skin with the help of a paper towel (don’t wash it off; rinsing dilutes the flavor). For the chicken, you’ll need about half the meat from a roasted 2½ – to 3-lb. bird.
Make ahead: Up to 1 month, frozen.
Per 2-enchilada serving: 526 cal., 50% (261 cal.) from fat; 32 g protein; 29 g fat (13 g sat.); 38 g carbo (4.2 g fiber); 1,402 mg sodium; 117 mg chol.