- Information That You Provide To Us
- Information Collected Using Technology
- Information You Provide From Social Networking Sites
- Other Third Parties
- Provide And Manage The Services You Request.
- To Contact You.
- To Better Understand Our Readers And Users.
- Customize Your Experience.
- Relevant Advertising.
- Audience Measurement Providers.
- To Protect The Rights Of The Services And Others.
- Service Providers.
- Business Partners.
- Law Enforcement.
- Social Networking Sites (SNS)
- Third Parties.
- Otherwise With Your Consent Or At Your Direction.
- You’re not Obliged to Provide your Personal Data.
- Providing your personal data for survey, marketing, and other profiting purposes is optional. Refusal to provide your personal data for these purposes will not have any negative impact. We will not discriminate against you if you decide to not provide your personal data. When requested under data protection laws, we will request your consent before processing your personal data for these purposes.
- Providing your personal data may be a requirement necessary to enter into or to perform a contract, including the performance of certain services and functionalities offered. In the aforementioned circumstances, refusal to provide your personal data would make it impossible for us to provide the requested services, products or information as specified above. Providing your personal data materializes your acceptance of these terms.
- You Have the Right to Manage your Personal Data.
- We retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes described in this policy, unless otherwise required or permitted by law. You may have the right to request: (i) access to your personal data (ii) an electronic copy of your personal data; (iii) correction of your personal data if it is incomplete or inaccurate; or (iii) deletion or restriction of your personal data in certain circumstances as provided by applicable law. We will not discriminate against you for the exercise of these rights. For personal data inquiries, please contact [email protected].
- Your Personal Data Shall Be Deleted Upon Your Request.
- You have the right to request us to delete any personal data related to you that we have collected from you, unless we have a legal duty to maintain your personal data in order to carry out specified acts under applicable laws. Upon your request to delete your personal data, we will proceed with the deletion and direct any service providers to delete your personal data from their records. For personal data inquiries, please contact [email protected].
- Information That You Provide To Us.
- We will collect personal data that you voluntarily provide us when you register for the Services or interact with other users of the Services. We may collect personal data when you sign up for marketing or editorial emails; download white papers, e-books, or webcasts; or sign up for events or other opportunities through Sunset. Personal data may include your first and last name, location, phone number, gender, title, email and mailing address and demographic information. We may also ask for information about your hobbies, interests, preferences and the like, but you’re free to register for our Services without providing this additional information.
- Billing and transactional information pursuant to your use of the Services, where appropriate to process a financial transaction you request.
- If you provide us feedback or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and email address, as well as any other content included in the email, in order to send you a reply.
- When you post content (such as text, images, messages or comments) in connection with your use of the Services, the information contained in your posting will be stored on our servers and other users will be able to see it.
- When you participate in one of surveys, we may collect additional profile information.
- We may also collect contact information regarding other individuals when you use the sharing and referral tools available within some of our Services to forward content or offers to your friends and associates. We use this information to facilitate the communications that you request. We rely on you to obtain whatever consents from the third party that may be required by law to allow us to facilitate the communications that you request. You or the third party may contact us at [email protected] to request the removal of this information from our database.
- Information Collected Using Technology.
- Information Collected By Our Servers. To make our Services more useful to you, our servers (which may be hosted by a third-party service provider) collect information from you, including your browser type, operating system, internet protocol (IP) address, domain name, and/or a date/time stamp for your visit.
- Flash LSOs. When we post videos, third parties may use local shared objects, knows as Flash Cookies to store your preferences for volume control or to personalize certain video features. Flash Cookies are different from browser Cookies because of the amount and type of data and how the data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash Cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash Cookies, click here.
- Advertising On Third-Party Websites and Ad Networks. We partner with third parties to manage our advertising on the Services and third-party websites, which may include serving or tracking advertisements on or relating to the Services. We may use the following data, whether separately or combined:
- Data from advertising technologies on and off our Services, like web beacons, pixels, ad tags, cookies, and device identifiers.
- Subscriber or visitor-provided information.
- Data from your use of the Services (g. hashed data, click stream information, browser type, geographic location, time and date, information about your interactions with advertisements and other content).
- Information from advertising partners. Our advertising partners may place or recognize cookies, web beacons or other technology to track certain activities about our website users. For example, in the course of serving certain advertisements, an advertiser may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser in order to collect certain information about your use of the Services. An advertiser or ad server may also be able to collect your device’s identifier in the course of serving an ad. In many cases, this information could be used to show you ads on other websites based on your interests.
- Information inferred from the data described above.
- Location Information.Some of our mobile applications may deliver content based on your current location if you choose to enable that feature of the app. We will ask you to opt-in before we use GPS or other tools to identify your precise location. If you enable the location-based feature, your current location will be stored locally on your device, which will then be used by the app. If you elect to have a location-based search saved to your history, we will store that information on our servers. If you do not enable the location-based service, or if an app does not have that feature, the app will not transmit to us, and we will not collect or store location information.
- Other Third Parties
- We may receive personal and/or anonymous data about you from companies that offer their products and/or services through our Services and/or companies that otherwise collect such information. These third-party companies may supply us with personal data. We may add this information to the information we have already collected from you via the Services in order to improve Services we provide to you.
III. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?How we use your personal data depends upon which Services you use, how you use those Services and the choices you make. We use the data that we have about you to provide and personalize the Services, so that they can be more relevant and useful to you and others, including as follows:
Provide And Manage The Services You Request.We use the information we gather about you to enable your use of the Services and fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as: sending out newsletters; enabling you to participate in online forums or communities; allowing you to download e-books, webcasts, and whitepapers; and enabling you to participate in polls, contests, sweepstakes and other events. Our Services allow you to stay informed about news and events. We may use the data that we have about you to recommend relevant content on our Services. We may also use the data (which can include your communications) to investigate, respond to and resolve complaints and Service issues.
To Contact You.We may periodically contact you with offers and information about the Services and our affiliates, including in connection with your accounts, online surveys, legal notices, news stories, new features that you are entitled to access, and other important information.
To Better Understand Our Readers And Users.We perform statistical, demographic and marketing analyses of users of the Services, to better understand and serve our users, and to improve our products, services and customer relationships.
Customize Your Experience.We use the information that we collect to allow advertising to be targeted to the users for whom such advertising is most germane. We also use this information to customize certain features of the Services, such as providing you with an enhanced experienced based on the type of device you are using to access the Services.
Relevant Advertising.We serve you tailored ads both on and off our Services. We may use demographic and preference information to facilitate the delivery of targeted ads, promotions and offers. This means users see advertising that is most likely to interest them, and advertisers send their messages to people who are most likely to be receptive, improving both the viewer’s experience and the effectiveness of the ads. We offer you choices regarding personalized ads but you cannot opt-out of seeing other ads. We may transmit website usage information about your use of the Services to third parties in order to show you advertising when you visit other sites. For more information about our third-party ad server, and to learn about your choices about targeted advertising, please click here. We adhere to self-regulatory principles for interest-based advertising and participate in industry opt-outs from such ads. This does not opt you out of receiving all advertising; you will continue to get other ads by advertisers not listed with these self-regulatory tools. You can opt-out from interest-based advertising here or in the EU, here, or in Canada, here. Your access to our websites should not be affected if you do not accept cookies served by third parties.
To Protect The Rights Of The Services And Others.We may use your personal data as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users and to comply with applicable law. We may otherwise use your information with your consent or at your direction.
IV. HOW DO WE DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
Affiliates.If you have registered to use the Services, we may disclose your personally identifiable information to Sunset affiliates for internal management and administrative purposes on our behalf. In the future, we may sell, buy, merge, or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, we may include your information among the transferred assets.
Service Providers.We contract with other companies to provide products, services or functions on our behalf, including credit card and billing processing, ad serving, email distribution, analytics or promotions management. We provide these companies only with the information they need to perform their services. These service providers agree to maintain the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information and not to use your personally identifiable information for any reason except to carry out the purpose(s) for which we hired them. These service providers are restricted from using personal information in any way other than to provide services for Sunset, and they may not share, resell or use the data for their own direct marketing purposes.
Business Partners.We may share your personal data with our channel partners to fulfill obligations and requests in connection with the Services, and/or conduct contests or sweepstakes. The privacy policies of such third parties apply to their use and disclosure of your information that we collect and disclose to such third-party companies.
Law Enforcement.We will disclose information we maintain when required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose such information in response to a law enforcement agency’s request.
Third Parties.If you are a print subscriber, we may exchange or rent your name and mailing address (but not your email address) and certain other information, such as when you first subscribed to Sunset publications with other reputable companies that offer marketing information or products through direct mail. If you prefer that we do not share this information, you may opt-out by emailing us at [email protected], or write to us at Opt-Out Postal, 1919 Gallows Road, Suite 400, Vienna, VA 22182. Please include your account number and phone number in the body of your email or letter and include “Opt-Out” in the subject line. We may also share information with third parties about our users in aggregate, de-identified form.
VI. YOUR CHOICES REGARDING INFORMATION
Postal Mail.To remove your name and postal address from lists that we sell or rent to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, or to opt-out of receiving marketing offers by mail, please email us at [email protected], or write to us at Opt-Out Postal, Sunset Publishing Corporation, 9720 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 600, Beverly Hills, CA 90212. Please note that if you choose to opt-out of Sunset’s promotional mailings, you may still receive renewal notices and related offers for any magazines to which you subscribe. If you prefer not to receive e-mail marketing from Sunset Publishing Corporation or any of its affiliates, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions near the bottom of each email or email us at [email protected]. If you no longer wish to receive a specific newsletter, follow the “unsubscribe” instructions located near the bottom of each newsletter. If you feel you have received an email or newsletter from us in error, please contact [email protected]. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept Cookies from our site or Services for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a Cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept Cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Services or all functionality of the Services.
Changing or Deleting Your Personal Data.You may change any of your personal data in your account by editing your profile within your account. You may request deletion of your personal data by us and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request.
VII. ADDITIONAL RIGHTS FOR EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA USERSIf you live in the European Economic Area, or a similar international area, you may have additional privacy rights available to you under applicable laws. We will obtain consents and process your requests in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If you would like to exercise any of the below rights, please contact [email protected] so that we may consider your request in accordance with applicable law:
- Change or Correct Data : You can edit some of your personal data through your account. You can also ask us to change, update or fix your data in certain cases, particularly if it is inaccurate.
- Object to, or Limit or Restrict, Use of Data : You can ask us to stop using all or some of your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or to limit our use of it (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held).
- Request Erasure : You can ask us to erase your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to use of data, where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Right to Access, Transfer and/or Take Your Data : You can ask us for a copy of your personal data, including in a machine-readable format or transfer of your personal data to a third party.
- Withdraw Consent at any Time : Where we are relying on consent to process your personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.