Five ways to enjoy these fresh, cool veggies
1. In salad: For a great side dish for grilled lamb and other meats, make Greek yogurt salad (or tzatziki): Peel, seed, and grate a cucumber. Squeeze out water. Mix with enough plain yogurt to coat, a clove of crushed garlic, a table-spoon of chopped dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. In water: Float slices of cucumber in a pitcher of water as a summer refresher.
3. Sliced: Toss very thinly sliced cucumber with rice vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Sautéed: Peel, seed, and roughly chop a cucumber. Cook over medium-high heat in some butter or olive oil until tender. Add some chopped mint and salt and season with pepper.
5. As a “cracker”: Use thick slices of cucumber in place of toasts or crackers when serving dips or spreads such as hummus.