Weave a lattice crust
The secret to a perfect lattice piecrust is simple: Work from the middle. Here’s how to make a crust using five horizontal and five vertical strips.
1. Lay down five horizontal strips, making sure that they’re evenly spaced.
2. Working from the right side, fold back every other horizontal strip (numbers 1, 3, and 5).
3. Lay down a vertical strip in the center, next to the fold.
4. Unfold horizontal strips 1, 3, and 5 back over the vertical strip.
5. Working once more from the right, fold back horizontal strips 2 and 4 by one-third.
6. Lay down a second vertical strip next to this fold. Unfold strips 2 and 4 back over the vertical strip.
7. Once more, from the right, fold back horizontal strips 1, 3, and 5, about a quarter of the way over. Lay your third vertical strip next to this fold and fold the horizontal strips back over it.
8. Repeat this process with two strips on the other side, working from the center.
Great cook? Have you created or adapted a special recipe you’d like to share with readers? Send it on in! If we publish it, you’ll receive a certificate and $100. Click here to submit your recipe.
Get more great tips from the Sunset Test Kitchen»