Early this morning, rain began to fall in the Bay Area—a beautiful sound for all of us who live in the drought-parched West. It lifted my...
Early this morning, rain began to fall in the Bay Area—a beautiful sound for all of us who live in the drought-parched West. It lifted my spirits for another reason, too: Rain is grilled-cheese weather.
Should you be heading to the kitchen right now to make one (like I am), here are a few tips to make your sandwich as good as it can be.
- Pick a good flavorful creamy cheese, like sharp Tillamook cheddar
- Coarsely shred the cheese (slices won’t melt evenly)
- Butter the outside of the bread, not the pan, for the most even browning
- Cook it slow: Use medium heat, and let it brown for at least 4 minutes per side, so it turns golden, crunchy, and properly gooey
- Prosciutto or cooked bacon
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced crisp apple
- Thinly sliced onion sautéed with fresh thyme leaves
- Mango chutney or fig preserves
A great grilled cheese sandwich and the sound of rain restoring the earth…This makes my day.