Mendocino for food lovers
Great restaurants, wines, oils, organic local produce, and more
Of the restaurants listed, only the Ukiah Brewing Co. & Restaurant is certified 100 percent organic (a complicated goal for a commercial kitchen). We’ve included other favorites that strongly emphasize organic foods and support local farmers. Reservations are advised. For more information, visit www.gomendo.com or call (866) 466-3636.
$: average dinner entrées less than $10
B = breakfast L = lunch D = dinner
1. Café 1. Sixties-era vegetarian meals served with all the comforts of an old-time diner. Open daily (B, L; D Thu-Sat only; $$). 753 N. Main St., Fort Bragg; (707) 964-3309.
2. Mendo Bistro. Try the crab cakes at this casual local favorite. Open daily (D; $$). 301 N. Main, Fort Bragg; (707) 964-4974.
3.Cafe Beaujolais. Inventive dinners in a cozy Victorian. Buy brick-oven breads 11-4:30. Restaurant open daily (D; $$$). 961 Ukiah St., Mendocino; (707) 937-5614.
4. MacCallum House Restaurant. Housed in an 1882 inn, this restaurant excels in North Coast cuisine. Casual, less expensive plates in the Grey Whale Bar & Café. Open daily (D; $$$). 45020 Albion St., Mendocino; (800) 609-0492.
5. Moosse Café. Regional ingredients with an Asian twist in this stylish but casual cafe. Open daily (L, D; $$). 390 Kasten St., Mendocino; (707) 937-4323.
6. The Ravens at Stanford Inn by the Sea. Vegetarian restaurant serves creative dishes with produce from its certified organic garden. Open daily (B, D; $$$). 44850 Comptche-Ukiah Rd. at State 1, Mendocino; (800) 331-8884.
7. Edge of the Earth. Tiny restaurant with ocean views serves sustainably caught seafood and vegetarian cuisine. Open Wed-Sun (D; $$). 7750 State 1 N. (next to post office), Little River; (707) 937-1970.
8. Pangaea. Warm, colorful restaurant serves soulful food from around the world. Open Wed-Sun (D; $$$). 250 Main St. (State 1), Point Arena; (707) 882-3001.
9. The Record. Market-deli in a historic newspaper building offers organic goods and sandwiches made with house-roasted meats. Open daily (B, L; $). 265 Main (State 1), Point Arena; (707) 882-3663.
10. Oz Farm. Certified organic since 1991, this quiet farm on the Garcia River grows heirloom apples and pears as well as vegetables. Tours by appointment. Point Arena; (707) 882-3046.
ANDERSON VALLEY/YORKVILLE HIGHLANDS
11. Le Vin Vineyards. Get a view of the highlands from this hilltop vineyard that produces organic Cabernet and Merlot. Tours, tasting by appointment. Yorkville; (707) 894-2304.
12. Yorkville Vineyards and Cellars. Certified organic vineyards produce Bordeaux varieties. Open daily. 25701 State 128, Yorkville; (707) 894-9177.
13. Boonville Hotel Restaurant. Craftsman-style roadhouse with restaurant, bar, and lodging. Simple but sophisticated dishes from organic-garden produce. Call for summer hours ($$$); bar open daily. State 128 at Lambert Lane, Boonville; (707) 895-2210.
14. Boonville General Store. Deli-cafe serves good salads, pizzas, and sandwiches on house-baked breads. Closed Wed (B, L; $). State 128, Boonville; (707) 895-9477.
15. Stella Cadente Olive Oil Company. Bring bottles to fill with olive oil, available for bargain prices at the 3 Wineries Tasting Room. State 128, across from the Boonville Hotel, Boonville; (707) 895-2848.
16. The Apple Farm. Heirloom apples, cider, apple-balsamic vinegar, chutney, and apricot jam at a picturesque farm stand. Open daily. 18501 Greenwood Rd., Philo; (707) 895-2333.
RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY
17. Hopland Inn. Victorian inn serves hearty, rustic dishes. 5:30-9 Sun-Tue and 5:30-10 Fri-Sat (D; $$$). 13401 U.S. 101, Hopland; (707) 744-1890.
18. Bonterra Vineyards. Organic Bonterra wines are available for tasting at Fetzer. Tour the 5-acre organic garden. B&B on site. Open daily. Fetzer Vineyards, 13601 East Side Rd., Hopland; (707) 744-1250.
19. Jeriko Estate. Taste organic, estate-grown Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in this large, beautiful new winery. Open daily. 12141 Hewlitt & Sturtevant Rd., 1 mile north of Hopland; (707) 744-1140.
20. Ukiah Brewing Co. & Restaurant. The nation’s first certified organic brew pub and second organic restaurant serves great hamburgers and beer, along with more creative fare. Open daily (L, D; $$). 102 S. State St., Ukiah; (707) 468-5898.
21. Barra of Mendocino at Redwood Valley Cellars. Taste Charlie Barra’s interesting Pinot Blanc and Pinot Noir in Redwood Valley Cellars’ spacious tasting room. Open daily. 7051 N. State St., Redwood Valley; (707) 485-0322.
22. Fife Vineyards. Organic, estate-grown grapes are used in the delicious Zinfandel and Petite Sirah. Spectacular view of Lake Mendocino from picnic tables behind tasting room. Open daily. 3621 Ricetti Lane, Redwood Valley; (707) 485-0323.
23. Frey Vineyards. Sulfite-free organic and biodynamic wines. Tours and tasting by appointment. Redwood Valley; (707) 485-5177.
24. Lolonis Winery. Catch a ladybug at these vineyards, organic since 1956. Tours, tasting by appointment. Redwood Valley; (925) 938-8066.
25. McFadden Farm. Pastoral farm grows herbs, garlic, and grapes. Tours by appointment. Potter Valley; (800) 544-8230.