The Exotic Paradise of California
Recently an article in Collectors Weekly wrote about the history of camping “before camping got wimpy.” Do you think they could be referring to this take on camping featured in Sunset‘s May 2011 issue?:
It has gotten wimpy. In fact, it looks freakishly close to a cottage rental, minus a wall. In any event, the article is fascinating.
A few highlights:
1. Camping was essentially invented in the West because people were inspired by John Muir and wanted to escape the daily grind before the DG even peaked.
2. “This camping impulse helped inspire the campaign to create America’s first National Parks.” Camping is an impulse!
3. There’s a whole book on the history of camping.
4. California used to be considered exotic. Is it still?
5. Peter Fish, Sunset’s editor at large, who is quoted in this piece, cannot be stumped on any bit of history in the West. Just try.
6. Sunset magazine has been there from the beginning, trying to make it comfortable!