Make your garden a more environmentally friendly space
• Go organic. Apply mulches on garden beds, use organic fertilizers as needed, and avoid toxic chemical pesticides.
• Irrigate with drip. To conserve water, install drip irrigation.
• Use permeable paving. Gravel, decomposed granite, and other porous materials allow water to be collected on-site.
• Recycle materials. Look for recycled steel, wood, and other building materials at local salvage yards, or check out green building resources online. The cast-concrete bench shown here is ornamented with upended wine bottles.
• Switch to electric. Avoid power tools that pollute the air; switch to an electric leaf blower, mower, and string trimmer. For small lawns, use a push-type reel mower.