Try these decorations for your next spring party
Pretty baskets planted with annuals, ground covers, or succulents make perfect tabletop decorations for springtime parties, especially when garnished with chocolate eggs wrapped in foil. They're a snap to put together.
TIME: About 35 minutes
COST: $15 to $20 (small basket) to about $90 (planted trug)
MATERIALS: Basket, black plastic liner (a garbage bag will do), scissors, potting soil, plants
1. Line a basket with black plastic; trim off the excess with scissors.
2. Fill the basket to within 2 inches of the rim with soil.
3. Set in plants, then add soil around them; press to firm the soil.
4. Because they don't have drain holes, water the baskets sparingly (test moisture first by poking the soil with your finger).
5. Add finishing touches such as candy eggs or ribbon.
ABOVE: The round white basket above (about 8 inches wide) contains blue star creeper and 10-inch-tall Chrysanthemum paludosum. The brown basket is filled with black mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens').