This dessert is from the upcoming book, The Apple Cookbook: 100 Sweet and Savory Recipes (W.W. Norton & Company, fall 2011).
Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
MAKES 3½ cups | 70 MINUTES
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1¼ lbs. tart green apples such as Granny Smith, cored and cut in 1-in. chunks (leave peels on)
- 3/4 cup chilled Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
1. Heat 1 cup water, the sugar, and apples in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat to a low boil, then reduce heat to low, partially cover pan, and gently simmer until apples are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in wine, salt, and lemon juice.
2. Mash mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a food mill into a bowl to remove skins. Whisk to blend evenly.
3. Pour purée into a shallow 9- by 13-in. baking dish and put in freezer 20 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another 8 hours before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 97 Cal., 0% from fat; 0.1 g protein; 0 g fat; 25 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 70 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
More: Favorite organic apples