When everything is looking too clean-lined, glitzy, shiny or stark, something as simple as a branch or two may be just what your room needs for contrast. They add organic shapes, natural textures and a lovely variety of colors to a room, instantly warming it up and drawing the eye. It may take a little foraging, measuring, sawing and sanding before you get it right, but if your room is begging for a branch, file away these designer ideas for inspiration.
1. Artwork on the wallThe pros at Transom Design Build used a sandblasted manzanita branch to create a work of art in this living room. They anchored it to the wall with a decorative chain and used fishing wire to fasten the smaller branches. Placing it on a charcoal gray wall and illuminating it with track lights shows off the branch’s beautiful structure and casts interesting shadows. By the way, these branches are easy to find online. Just search “sandblasted manzanita.”
2. Pot-hanging railsBlogger Aggy Hoogwerf gets crafty with branches all over her home in the Netherlands. Here she used found branches to hang pots, pans and other necessities, adding beautiful natural texture and color to her black and white kitchen. If you try this at home, get the hooks first, then throw one in your coat pocket and make sure it’s a good fit when you’re out foraging for branches. You can find hooks like these at Ikea and home improvement stores.
3. Over the dining tableHanging a branch over twig dining room furniture ties this space together from floor to ceiling. After moving into this house they’d designed, architects Cara Cummins and José Tavel were having a party but hadn’t yet installed a light over their dining table. They headed outside, gathered some branches in the yard and fashioned a sculptural hanging that suits the lines and scale of the room.
4. Clothing rodIn this chic Barcelona home decorated by Esther Algara, the organic shape of a branch and natural thick ropes warm up a dressing space. They also turn a wardrobe into a changeable work of art, giving the space a boutique-like feel.
Related: 23 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home
5. A natural mobileIn this bright green nursery by Serendipite Designs, cheerful birds perch along a suspended branch.