Create an elegant French twist in about 20 minutes
TIME: 20 minutes
COST: $20 to $35 (depending on the number of flowers purchased or picked from the garden), plus bowl
NOTE: Use flowers with long, strong stems, and mix blooms of different colors for a carefree, country-garden look.
Add green foliage for accent and texture. Supplement garden flowers with florist’s blooms as needed.
MATERIALS AND TOOLS
- Flowers, about 55 stems (we used yellow ‘Peace’ roses, peach spray roses, feverfew, orange-red bouvardias, blue brodiaeas, and others)
- Foliage or grasses (we used hypericum, oregano, zebra grass)
- 2 yards of waxed floral string or raffia
- 2 yards of decorative ribbon
- Low, round bowl
- Separate flowers and foliage into piles by variety; lay each pile flat on a table.
- Gather and twist the stems as shown in the photos below.
- Using sharp shears, cut all the stems to the same length.
- Recut the center stems about 1 inch shorter than the outer ones (this helps to ensure that the bouquet will stand up easily).
- Tie all stems together with string or raffia, just below flower heads, then tie a decorative ribbon around the bouquet to cover string. Spread the stems with your fingers so the bouquet will stand up.
- Place the spiral bouquet in a low, wide bowl filled with water.