Now it's easy to sample this intriguing cuisine at home
- Beef Noodle Soup (Pho Bo)
- Grilled Catfish with Noodles (Cha Ca)
- Hoi An-style Oven-crisped Pork Sandwich (Banh Mi Thit Hoi An)
- Braised Tofu in Caramel Sauce (Tau Hu Kho)
- Chicken with Lemon Grass and Chili (Ga Xao Xa Ot)
- Cabbage and Shrimp Salad (Goi Tom)
- Cooked Rice Noodles (Bun)
- Fried Shallots (Hahn Phi)
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce (Nuoc Cham)
Political upheaval, ironically, can leave a bright legacy in the kitchen. Out of Vietnam’s long history of domination ― by the Chinese and, later, the French ― emerged an exciting multicultural cuisine.
Cooking techniques from those world-class cuisines, applied to the country’s tropical bounty, created a vivid palette of flavors and textures unique among Asian traditions.
This sampler of Vietnamese classics ― based on easy techniques ― gives you a taste of this intriguing cuisine.