The top people, places, things, and trends that make us happy to live here now
An icy, briny oyster on the half-shell is one of the West’s unrivaled pleasures—especially when consumed within a literal stone’s throw of the water it grew in. And with 1,293 miles of coastline (not even counting Alaska), we have a growing number of aqua farms where you can do just that. Plus, there’s no need for fish farm guilt—oysters are terrific water filters that make our bays healthier.
So get right to the source at one of these oyster farms: Buy a few dozen sweet little Kumamotos or plump, cucumbery Pacifics, and get cracking.
- Taylor Shellfish Farms, WA (pictured). taylorshellfishfarms.com
- Brady’s Oysters, WA. bradysoysters.com
- Hama Hama Seafood Store, WA. hamahamaoysters.com
- Oysterville Sea Farms, WA. willabay.com
- Oregon Oyster Farms, OR. oregonoyster.com
- Hog Island Oyster Farm, CA. hogislandoysters.com
- Tomales Bay Oyster Co., CA. tomalesbayoyster.com
- Drakes Bay Oyster Co., CA. drakesbayoyster.com
- Morro Bay Oyster Co., CA.