The top people, places, things, and trends that make us happy to live here now
Like pizza before them, bagels of the West have been promoted from punchline to something worth seeking out:
- Spielman Coffee Roasters & Bagels, Portland. Crackly crusted sourdough bagels sweetened with a little honey. The Seedy (pictured) lives up to its name. (503) 467-0600.
- Beauty’s Bagel Shop, Oakland. Small, dense, Montreal-style bagels with a great chew; boiled first, then baked in a wood-fired oven. beautysbagelshop.com
- Bagels on Broadway, Missoula, MT. Moist, tender, and definitely unorthodox: the cake lover’s bagel. bagelsonbroadway.com
- Solly’s Bagelry, Vancouver, B.C. Knobbly and rustic with dense yet creamy crumbs. Don’t miss the Mishmash, with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and sweet onion shreds. sollysbagelry.com
- Moe’s Broadway Bagel, Boulder, CO. Golden, springy beauties, packed with seasonings on both sides.