We're done apologizing for our bagels
Like pizza before them, bagels of the West have been promoted from punchline to something worth seeking out:
- Spielman Coffee Roasters & Bagels, Portland. Crackly crusted sourdough bagels sweetened with a little honey. The Seedy (pictured) lives up to its name. (503) 467-0600.
- Beauty’s Bagel Shop, Oakland. Small, dense, Montreal-style bagels with a great chew; boiled first, then baked in a wood-fired oven. beautysbagelshop.com
- Bagels on Broadway, Missoula, MT. Moist, tender, and definitely unorthodox: the cake lover’s bagel. bagelsonbroadway.com
- Solly’s Bagelry, Vancouver, B.C. Knobbly and rustic with dense yet creamy crumbs. Don’t miss the Mishmash, with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and sweet onion shreds. sollysbagelry.com
- Moe’s Broadway Bagel, Boulder, CO. Golden, springy beauties, packed with seasonings on both sides. moesbagel.com