Materials: Washable marker, carving tool(s), pumpkins in interesting shapes and varying sizes
- Draw or photocopy a design to desired size. Seek inspiration in antique Audubon books (freestanding animals), and foliage from your own backyard.
- Cut out top of pumpkin and scrape interior clean. (You can also chose to skip this step and not hollow the pumpkins.)
- Copy desired design onto pumpkin with washable marker (freehand), or transfer design to pumpkin.
- Using a carving tool, carve into the design about 1/4 in deep, being careful not to break through pumpkin flesh (rather, scraping a hollow relief).
- If you've hollowed your pumpkins, set them aglow with multiple tea lights, or battery operated candles.