Join our food writers as we explore salt, the most basic and most important of seasonings
LOTS MORE SHAKIN' ON SALT
- How to tell a fleur de sel from a flake: using and buying gourmet salts
- Follow Sunset's own Team Salt on our quest to find local salt. Get the story
- At Cargill (which has a site on San Francisco Bay), take a tour and learn about salt's history, manufacturing, and many uses.
- At Morton Salt (also with a site on SF Bay) learn the story of the umbrella girl, plus salt facts, history, and household tips.
- The Salt Institute explores salt from a scientific and industry point of view.
Salt-Baked Striped Bass with Herb Lemon Chile Sauce
- Mark Kurlansky recounts salt's fascinating history in Salt: A World History (Penguin; $16).
- "Selmelier" Mark Bitterman waxes poetic about salt on his blog.
- Ever fry an egg on a Himalayan pink salt block? Learn how at ideasinfood.typepad.com.
MORE GREAT RECIPES FOR COOKING WITH SALT:
- Salt-Cured Ouzo Shrimp
- Crunchy Salt Shrimp with Ginger Sauce
- Salt-Baked Striped Bass with Herb Lemon Chile Sauce
- Halibut Roasted on a Bed of Salt
- Lamb Chops with Spiced Salt Rub
- Salt-and-Pepper Cheese Puffs
- Jicama with Chili Salt
- Spiced Orange Salad