Coral von Zumwalt
- Half-hide of raw, undyed upholstery leather (leatherunltd.com); you’ll need 7 sq. ft. for 4 placemats and 4 coasters
- Metal right-angle ruler
- Utility knife
- Neon leather paint (such as Angelus)
- Flat-tip paintbrushes
- On a safe surface, using the ruler as a guide, cut leather into four 12- by 15-in. placemats.
- Create a 1-in. border around each placemat by roughing in a striped pattern with light pencil marks.
- Paint the border in contrasting colors. Let dry and apply another coat if needed.
- From leather scraps, cut four 31/2- by 31/2-in. coasters. Repeat painting process within a 1/4-in. border.
Project by Heather Taylorm who is co-owner of art gallery Taylor De Cordoba and has just launched a linen line, Heather Taylor Home, inspired by her travels. heathertaylorhome.com