Photography by Thomas J. Story
According to crafter Kelly Wilkinson, “If you choose a design instead of letters, simple two-dimensional graphics work best.” Look for adhesive etching stencils online (at sites such as Etchworld). Wilkinson created the “Stay warm” template exclusively for Sunset readers. Or create your own design.MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT
1. Print out words or design at desired size.
2. Tape the words or design to adhesive liner, and cut around shapes with a craft knife (the more precise the cut, the crisper the etching will be).
3. Remove backing from adhesive liner, and place adhesive stencil on glass. Press firmly into place, so that etching cream won’t seep underneath.
4. In a well-ventilated area (such as outdoors or in a workshop), wearing rubber gloves and using the paintbrush, apply a thick layer of etching cream over stencil. Let stand for length of time recommended by manufacturer.
5. Rinse with warm water, peel off stencil, and clean with paper towels and glass cleaner. Be careful when wiping around stencil edges.