For the look of floral-motif aloha shirts, we used origami paper printed with small designs (available at many art supply stores). You could also use wrapping paper or art paper. The hangers are ornament hooks.
Time: About 10 minutes each, plus drying time for glue
Cost: $12 for 12 ornaments
Tools and materials
Patterned origami paper (an 18- by 18-inch sheet is enough to make 12 ornaments)
One sheet of white paper
Solid-color origami paper (two 6- by 6-inch pieces for 12 ornaments)
Wire ornament hooks
1. Cut a piece of patterned origami paper 7 1/2 inches long and 4 1/2 inches wide; fold it in half.
2. Make a shirt pattern by drawing one onto white paper, sized to the cut origami paper. Cut out the pattern.
3. Place the pattern on the origami paper with the shirt bottom on the fold; cut it out. Also cut out two small rectangular pieces from the solid-color origami paper, each 1 1/4 inches long by 1 inch wide, for the inside front and back. An option is to cut one rectangle from the patterned paper.
4. For the collar, glue the back of a rectangle to the inside top of the shirt front; trim off overlap to follow the lines of the shoulder.
5. Unbend the small loop of a wire ornament hook; center it on the inside of the back of the shirt at the top, with the hook and a bit of stem protruding. Tape it into place. Back sides together, glue the other small rectangle to the inside back of the shirt, covering the tape. Trim overlap.
6. Make a 1-inch cut down the shirt front. Bend back both corners to mimic a collar and glue down.
7. Glue the insides of the shirt together; allow glue to dry (about 10 minutes).