Photo by Thomas J. Story
OFFICIAL RULES | NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins 12:01 A.M. PST on December 20, 2013 and 11:59 P.M. PST on January 31, 2014. To enter online, go to sunset.com/homeawards and follow instructions to submit your digital photographs and short, original essay of 100 words or less, highlighting the use of space; essays must be in English. Entrants must submit between two and six digital photographs, and each must be less than 5MB. Limit one entry per person in each of the five categories, which are identified at sunset.com/homeawards. Sunset Publishing is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, postage due mail or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sunset Publishing and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium or (3) has not won an award.
2. JUDGING: Entries will be judged in three phases. From February 1, 2014 through February 15, 2014, Sunset editors will judge all entries to determine up to 10 finalists in each category, based on the following criteria: Quality of photographs (25%); Creativity in the use of space (25%); Use of language to describe the small space functionality (25%); and Appropriateness to category theme (25%). Sunset will then invite the public to vote on their favorite finalists from March 1, 2014 to April 12, 2014. Votes will account for 49% of the winning criteria; Sunset editors’ votes will account for 51%. In the event of a tie, an additional “tie-breaker” judge will determine the Winner from among all such tied entries using the judging criteria above. Sunset reserves the right to choose fewer than 1 winner per category if, in Sunset’s sole discretion an insufficient number of eligible and/or qualified entries are received. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winners will be notified by email and/or telephone beginning April 13, 2014.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and Canada, excluding Quebec, who are 19 years or older at time of entry. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sunset and its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: One Winner in each award category will receive a Container Store gift card valued at $250. Select winners will be featured in an upcoming issue of Sunset magazine. Approximate Retail Value: $250.00. All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sunset reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sunset’s sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sunset to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any photos, essays, and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s Contest entry are original and will not constitute [defamation or ] an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such photos, essays, and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted photos, essays, and other materials, along with Entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the photos, essays, and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sunset and its agencies to use Winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, and/or essay, photographs, other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold Sunset and its promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion or privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which Sunset deems likely to subject Sunset, entrant or winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon Sunset in any way. If such information is discovered by Sunset after a winner has received notice of his prize and before the prize is awarded, Sunset may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sunset may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of Sunset are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sunset is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Sunset is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sunset or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sunset reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sunset reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sunset reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the email address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the email address is assigned.
7. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. WINNER’S LIST: For name of Winner(s), available after April 30, 2014 send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to Sunset Publishing, Attention: Small Space, Big Dreams Awards; 80 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025.
10. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is Sunset Publishing, 80 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025.