A designer shares quick tricks for making any place feel like home
“Lots of ideas for the apartment came from researching my book,” Schuneman says. Info: The First Apartment Book: Cool Design for Small Spaces (Clarkson Potter, 2012; $25).
Here are Kyle Schuneman’s go-to home decorating shops.
- West Elm for drapery, pillows, and bedding. Their classic pieces can mix with other items to create a rich look. westelm.com
- Dash & Albert Rug Company for big indoor and outdoor rugs that are really affordable. dashandalbert.com
- Big Daddy’s Antiques in Los Angeles and San Francisco for wild antiques that are always conversation starters. bdantiques.com
- Croft House in L.A. for reclaimed furniture. “I love supporting small businesses, and these guys make great custom pieces,” he says. crofthouse.com
- cb2 for dishware. Use white dishes for entertaining, because they go with everything and show off whatever you’re serving. cb2.com