Beach style No. 3: boathouse chic
Christopher Downs, owner of Christopher Home (pictured) in Tiburon, CA, creates a boathouse chic theme inspired by Northern
California culture. Create the look:
- Hang buoys, yacht pennants, and old lighthouse lanterns to telegraph nautical charm.
- Choose rough-hewn materials, like jute for a rug. And use bits of sailcloth or canvas for throw pillows or upholstery.
- Give walls a slick of bright white paint, which “instantly brings a light, summery feeling to any interior.”
- Limit your palette to three or four colors—a neutral base with graphic hues “like navy or red, to make things pop.”
- INFO Items from Christopher Home (415/435-0111), unless otherwise noted.