Built in 1869, this home needed an updated kitchen and more light in interior rooms.
Owner and architect Mary Griffin replaced a 1920s shed-roof addition at the back with a slightly larger addition that allowed the kitchen to move out of the historic part of the house.
She turned the new kitchen into a large light box with a translucent roof made of aluminum-and-fiberglass Kalwall panels. Widened openings between the major rooms further brighten the interior.
Design: Turnbull Griffin Haesloop Architects, Berkeley (510/841-9000)