2006-2007 Dream Garden Award winners
Get ideas for your own yard from these winning spaces for living and entertaining
A redwood boardwalk, fringed with pink-flowered coral bells, connects a bedroom deck and breakfast nook with the main bluestone patio and dining area on the garden's opposite side.
Now a new L-shaped lap pool and elevated dining area are surrounded by an elegant tapestry of tough plants like silvery artemisia, chartreuse euphorbias, bronze cordyline, junipers, lavender, red kangaroo paws, ornamental grasses, Phormium 'Dusky Chief', and smoke tree.
Design: Judy Kameon with Michael Kirchmann Jr. and Ivette Soler, Elysian Landscapes, Los Angeles (213/380-3185).
Resources: Hoop chairs by Plain Air
The designers tamed a 6-foot slope with a series of uneven stone terraces, then filled the stairstep planters with rich top soil and aromatic, rabbit-resistant plants such as lavender, penstemon, salvias, santolina, shrub roses ('Carefree Wonder' and 'Knock Out'), and 'Moonshine' yarrow. The Pirana water treatment system recycles all household wastewater, using microbes and ultraviolet light, to create a nonpotable source of irrigation water.
Design: Monika Hellwegen and Azul Cobb, Carlotta from Paradise, Santa Fe (505/983-1109).
A gravel dining patio, fireplace, and lawn fit neatly into the backyard. Plants in shades of green (a hedge of Westringia 'Morning Light', a Melaleuca incana tree, and a fringe of blue fescue) mingle with coppery orange ones ('California Gold' bougainvillea, Carex testacea, and Phormium 'Guardsman').
Design: Rob Steiner, Los Angeles (323/931-4425)
• Karla Dakin, K. Dakin Design, Louisville (303/604-2988).
• Jamie Fogle, Design Workshop, Denver (303/623-5186).
• Todd R. Cole, Suzman & Cole Design Associates, San Francisco (415/252-0111).
• Tomi Kobara, Oakland, email@example.com (510/420-1197).
• Keeyla Meadows, Keeyla Meadows Gardens & Art, Albany (510/559-1026).
• Diana Stratton and Brian Columbia, Diana Stratton Design, Healdsburg (707/433-2582).
• Jeffrey Gordon Smith, Jeffrey Gordon Smith Landscape Architecture, Baywood Park (805/528-2118).
• Jim Verdone, Verdone Landscape Architects, Jackson, WY (307/733-3062).