The garden layout
1. Entry patio. Turn left off the front walkway and you're at the entry patio. Dense plantings and a fountain help mask street noise. A path leads from here to the backyard.
2. Checkerboard patio. Potted shade lovers, including 'Chocolate Ruffles' heuchera and variegated Carex phyllocephala 'Sparkler', create a focal point surrounded by alternating square concrete pavers and square sections of turf. A lion's head fountain and mirror, framed with baskets of 'Purple Wave' petunias, form the backdrop.
3. Deck. Raised above the entry patio, it's a bonus open-air room.
4. Pond garden. Edged with hostas in shades of green and mounds of boxwood, the pond nestles against layers of greenery, including tall, golden-flowered ligularia.
5. Chartreuse patio. Just big enough for a table and two chairs, it's the first stop on the path to the back gardens.