Sooty Mold

This fungal disease has no chemical control

Caused by a number of different fungi, this disease can afflict any plant. It shows up as a powdery, dark brown or black coating on leaves--hence the name "sooty mold." The responsible fungi live on a plant's natural secretions and on the honeydew excreted by aphids, mealybugs, and scale. While fairly harmless on its own, sooty mold may weaken a plant if combined with extensive insect damage.

To control the problem, reduce the population of honeydew-excreting insects. Rinse small, ornamental plants by hand; hose down larger infected areas (such as trees or expanses of ground covers).

There is no chemical control.

DownComment IconEmail IconFacebook IconGoogle Plus IconGrid IconInstagram IconLinkedin IconList IconMenu IconMinus IconPinterest IconPlus IconRss IconSave IconSearch IconShare IconShopping Cart IconSpeech BubbleSnapchat IconTumblr IconTwitter IconWhatsapp IconYoutube Icon