Tips for growing and caring for melons, plus our favorite recipes come harvest time
Photo by Iain Bagwell; written by Amy Machnak
Don't miss these other varieties. Clockwise, from top left:
- Crimson Sweet: Crisp, sweet, and mild, with medium red flesh.
- Charentais: Deep orange and juicy, with a flowery aroma.
- Eel River: Supersoft texture, gentle flavor, and elegant perfume; orange flesh.
- Ha-ogen: Chin-drippingly juicy, with slightly savory, tropical flavors and pale green flesh.
- Honeyloupe: Hybrid that tastes and looks like a cross between cantaloupe and honeydew; bright orange, sweet, and juicy.
- Mickey Lee: Red flesh with a clean taste and slightly grainy texture.
- Moon and stars: Bright to pinkish- red flesh and a sweet-tart flavor.
- New Orchid: Pale orange flesh and a rich, honey-like flavor.
- Galia: As sweet, juicy, and succulent as a summer peach, with soft green flesh.
- Eel River (pictured again).
- New Orchid (pictured again).
- Canary: Dense green flesh with a sweet flavor that’s musky in a good way, like grapes.
- Ambrosia: Sweet, floral, and deeply flavorful orange flesh.