Tips for growing and caring for melons, plus our favorite recipes come harvest time
Photo by Iain Bagwell; written by Amy Machnak
Prime melon season is July through September. Be sure to sample these delicious varieites this season!
Clockwise, from left:
- Ha-ogen: Chin-drippingly juicy, with slightly savory, tropical flavors and pale green flesh.
- Tuscan: Earthy, clean flavor with hints of cucumber. Rich, amber-colored flesh.
- Canary: Dense green flesh with a sweet flavor that’s musky in a good way, like grapes.
- Moon and stars: Bright to pinkish- red flesh and a sweet-tart flavor.
- Charentais: Deep orange and juicy, with a flowery aroma.
- Mickey Lee: Red flesh with a clean taste and slightly grainy texture.
- Ha-ogen (pictured again).
- Crimson Sweet: Crisp, sweet, and mild, with medium red flesh.
- Canary (pictured again).
- Yellow Doll: Yellow flesh; slightly tart.