Thomas J. Story
Summer flowers come into their bloom peak just in time for the biggest party of the season ― Fourth of July. To dress up an outdoor table for a picnic, you can take advantage of the bounty by setting flowers of patriotic colors in a basket like the one pictured above.
Bold blue hydrangeas form the core of our arrangement. To fill the spaces around them, we used a luscious assortment of blooms in primary colors ― about 50 stems total. (If your garden can't supply all the right colors, use blooms from a market or florist.) For longest life, display the arrangement out of direct sun.
TIME: 25 minutes
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
• Three bricks of florist's foam (4 inches wide, 9 inches long, 3 inches thick)
• Assorted flowers (see list at left)
• Floral food
• Round waterproof liner
• Florist's tape
• Picnic basket (10 inches wide by 16 inches long)
• Three handfuls of sphagnum moss
• Foliage: eight stems of salal, camellia, citrus, or other long-lasting greenery