Create a fire-smart landscape by playing a zone defense
- Zone 1: For maximum safety, plant sparingly within 3 to 5 feet of your house.
- Zone 2: Trim tree branches at least 10 feet from the chimney; cut back any trees overhanging the roof.
- Zone 3: In the Garden Zone, keep grass watered and mown to, at most, 4 inches.
- Zone 4: In the Greenbelt Zone, don’t let perennials and shrubs grow taller than 18 inches.
- Zone 5: Thin and separate trees by two times their height. Don’t plant shrubs or vines beneath them.
Note: There’s no completely fireproof plant. But click ahead for 5 plants that can slow a fire if they’re watered and pruned regularly.