Your guide to making a raised garden bed
A raised bed is one of the best ways to grow vegetables.
Materials for a raised bed:
- One 6-foot-long 4-by-4 ($15)
- Six 8-foot-long 2-by-6s ($75)
- One 10-foot-long 1-inch PVC pipe ($3)
- Two 10-foot-long ½-inch PVC pipes ($6)
- 32 3½-inch #14 wood screws and 16 ½-inch #8 wood screws ($29)
- One 4- by 10-foot roll of ¼-inch-mesh hardware cloth ($15)
- Eight 1-inch galvanized tube straps (semicircular brackets; $3.60)
- 32 cubic feet (1 1/5 cu. yd.) soil mix ($100 in bags; look for combination of topsoil, compost, and potting soil).