Working with mirrors
- Wear heavy leather gloves and protective glasses.
- If you will be placing the mirror where children play, use safety glass.
- To prevent moisture damage, seal mirror edges by painting "edge seal" (a lacquerlike substance available at glass shops) around all sides.
Vertically mounted mirrors
- Add a backing such as exterior-grade 3/4-inch plywood. Use mirror mastic, a strong waterproof adhesive that's available at large hardware stores and glass shops, to mount the mirror to the plywood.
- Give the mirror proper support.
- Frame the mirror with wood, metal, plastic, or even tile.
Mirrors on the ground
- Choose a level spot among plants.
- Dig out 2 inches of soil and replace it with builder's sand, packed firm.