Step-by-step: build a soothing fountain
2. Using tin snips, cut a square opening (about ½ in. across) in the center of the mesh square.
3. Attach the plastic tube to the pump, then thread it through the center opening in the steel mesh. Position the mesh square atop the bucket. Pull out the free end of the pump's power cord; position so it exits the bucket through the cut notch.
7. Put landscaping rocks around the pot to hide the mesh.
8. Fill the plastic bucket under the fountain with water, and turn on the pump.
This fountain is made from one deep (30-in.) pot and one shallow (6-in.) pot. Each pot has a single drain hole in its bottom.
- One 5-gal. plastic bucket, slightly wider than large pot's base diameter
- Tin snips
- Electric drill with a masonry bit
- Submersible fountain pump that lifts water at least 3 ft.
- One 2-ft. square of very sturdy expanded steel mesh
- 42 in. of plastic tubing that fits the pump outlet
- Two glazed ceramic containers, one smaller in diameter so it nests into the other
- Silicone caulking
- Stones to cover the steel mesh