BUILD YOUR OWN BALI HIDEAWAY
1. Make a frame of bamboo poles (2-in. diameter for vertical supports, 1 ½-in. for horizontals). You'll need a drill to make holes for nut and bolt to hold each pole junction together; hemp twine wrapped over each junction hides the hardware and gives a lashed-together look.
2. Sink vertical supports into 18-in. deep sand-filled holes
3. Drape and tie mosquito netting (available at REI and sporting-goods stores) loosely onto the poles.
4. For Sunset's retreat, Bud constructed a tiny deck on a redwood frame resting on bricks. He chose tropical ipé wood to add to the exotic effect .
5. For your own private paradise, you can simply build the bamboo structure over a level patch of lawn or gravel. Adapt dimensions and materials freely to your taste.