Delicious toppings turn pizza and burgers into the perfect wine food. Get our top matches
Photo by Thomas J. Story
Kick off our tour of fast-food wine pairings with a good burger and a sparkling wine made mostly from Pinot Noir. Use ground chuck—its generous fat content loves bubbles; then pile on Pinot-friendly toppings:
- Brioche buns Good sparklers counter the richness of eggy, buttery bread.
- Avocados Hard on most grapes, avocados have few wine friends. Sparklers make them work.
- Applewood-smoked bacon High-acid sparklers are a natural for salty foods. Add smoke to the food, and you link to the earthy side of the wine.
- Caramelized sweet onions Put a little char on “melted onions,” and the sweet fruit in the wine will pop.
- Sautéed mushrooms Mushrooms are a Pinot’s best friend.
- Gruyère cheese Its nuttiness pulls out the earthy lees-iness of a Pinot sparkler.
- Herbed horseradish mayonnaise Chase the sinus-clearing root with bubbles, and all the herbs and lemon in the sauce will team up with the herbal, citrus side of the wine.