Swirl and taste: Plums, blackberries, and black currant; sometimes violets or rose petals, and often mint, mocha, and eucalyptus or cedar; strong tannins underneath.
• Well-marbled beef
• Hearty fowl like duck
• Spice rubs and sauces with lots of black pepper; mushrooms
• Marinades with soy sauce
• Long-braised stews
• Pot roast
• Grilled red meat
Find your style: Some Cabs are made to be drunk tonight ― with ripe fruit and subdued tannins. Others need years to mellow. Great Cabs, some argue, are balanced the day they're released and get better with time.
Perfect recipe pairings
• Multicolored-Pepper Steaks with Balsamic Onions
• French Onion Rib Eye Steak
• Tenderloin Steaks with Gorgonzola Butter
• Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs with Dried Apricots
• Slow-braised Beef Stew with Mushrooms