To turn that plain omelet into a healthy meal fill it with layers of roasted red pepper Swiss chard and pecorino romano cheese.
You can dress up a plain omelet in a mind-boggling number of ways. Every set of filling ingredients gives it a different personality. Some seem natural for breakfast or brunch, others for lunch. And there's nothing like a gooey cheese-filled omelet for a late-night supper. Here are some of our favorite simple combos.
• Layer diced canned roasted red pepper, shredded Swiss chard, and grated pecorino romano cheese.
• Sauté thinly sliced leeks in butter; add along with sliced Camembert or brie cheese.
• Cut cream cheese into cubes and pair with sliced green onions and a couple of slices of smoked salmon.
• Make a hearty but chic creation with a few slices of cooked potato, some ricotta cheese, and plenty of fresh-ground black pepper.
• Liven up any omelet by adding 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs to the egg mixture. Try thyme, parsley, chives, tarragon, and chervil, alone or combined.