Sunset

I went on vacation for two weeks, and before I left, I prepped our mushrooms logs for a period of rest following a good harvest.  I fully intended to restart the fruiting process when I returned, but they seemed to have become a little anxious or perhaps disappointed that I had left them without daily attention (yes, our mushrooms have feelings).  When I returned, our Blue Oyster log was bursting with what I imagine alien fingers look like, and our Shiitake had one pathetic button and plenty of periwinkle mold covering the log.

(Our mutant Blue Oyster Mushrooms)

I refrained from eating the shiitake, but I just had to have a taste of the mutant Blue Oyster mushrooms.  "Is that safe?" you may ask.  Their caps (which, in fact, resemble more of funnel) resembled that of a typical Blue Oyster mushroom, but the stalks were thick and knotted.  I figured they couldn't be some other type of dangerous mushroom since they came from the professionally cultivated log we had already received two crops from, so I decided to eat them.

(how a Blue Oyster mushroom should look)

A quick sauté with a little olive oil and a dash of salt brought out the flavor of the mushrooms, but the texture was a bit weird for me.  If this becomes the regular form they decide to take, I may have to puree them in a soup instead, otherwise my family and friends may be scared to eat them. And rightfully so.

You May Like