Taste local flavor in every bite of these star recipes that define the West
Deviled Crab Louis recipe:
- 8 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves (10 in. long)
- 1 head Belgian endive (white or red; 3 oz.), leaves separated
- 2 qts. finely shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce, or a combination
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Deviled Louis Dressing (recipe below)
- 1 lb. shelled cooked Dungeness or Alaska king crab
- 2 firm-ripe tomatoes (3/4 lb. total), cored and each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and each cut into 4 wedges
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- Lemon wedges
1. Line dinner plates or wide bowls with whole lettuce leaves, and then Belgian endive leaves.
2. In a large bowl, combine shredded lettuce and parsley. Add 2/3 cup deviled Louis dressing and mix gently. Divide among lettuce-lined plates.
3. Mound crab in center of shredded lettuce mixture; arrange tomato and egg wedges around edges. Sprinkle salads with salt, pepper, and chopped chives. Serve with lemon wedges and remaining dressing.
Deviled Louis dressing recipe: Purée 1 cup tomato salsa (medium to hot) and 3 to 4 tsp. chopped canned chipotle chiles in a blender until smooth. Pour into a bowl and stir in 2 cups mayonnaise, 6 tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tbsp. sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 3 1/2 cups.