Serves: 4 to 6
Time: 1 hour
1. Trim off and discard tough stalks and base of fennel head. Core and chop bulb.
2. In a 6- to 8-qt. pan over medium-high heat, stir fennel, oil, onion, garlic, and 2 tbsp. parsley until onion is limp, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add diced tomatoes (with their juice), wine, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and red chile flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until flavors are well blended, about 15 minutes.
4. Add clams and crabs. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes (transfer any opened clams to a bowl and cover to keep warm). Stir in shrimp, cover, and simmer until clams finish popping open, shrimp turn pink, and crab is hot, 6 to 9 minutes longer; remove seafood as it finishes cooking. Discard clams that have not opened.
5. Season cioppino with salt and pepper to taste and ladle into bowls with seafood. Serve sprinkled with remaining 2 tbsp. parsley.
Per serving: 309 cal., 29% (90 cal.) from fat; 35 g protein; 10 g fat (1.4 g sat.); 21 g carbo (4.3 g fiber); 798 mg sodium; 176 mg chol.