These Vietnamese sandwiches take advantage of leftovers from dinner, but you can use different fixings to make Mexican tortas, Italian panini, or American deli sandwiches.
1. Pack split sandwich rolls or baguettes; Asian red chili paste; salad mix or shredded cabbage; sliced red onion; sliced cucumber; fresh cilantro; and deli meats such as ham or chicken.
2. Marinate 1 cup each matchstick-size pieces of peeled jicama and carrots in 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar up to three days.
3. Pack fresh and pickled vegetables separately in zip-lock plastic bags.
1. Save leftover beef or chicken satay (or make a double batch; see dinner menu below).
2. Layer rolls with leftover satay and/or deli meats, chili paste, cilantro, and vegetables.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.