SAVORY EGG AND RICOTTA SQUARES WITH SHIITAKES AND ARUGULA
Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Created by Jamie Brown-Miller, of Napa, CA
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1½ cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup lightly packed arugula
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese (from the February 2010 issue of Sunset)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp. sriracha (garlic chili paste)
- 1 cup fresh fromage blanc (from the February 2010 issue of Sunset)
1. Preheat oven to 425° degrees. Slice puff pastry sheets into quarters and place 4 on an ungreased baking sheet. Chill all 8 puff pastry squares while you make the filling.
2. Whisk together eggs and 1/2 cup water in a medium bowl. In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat and swirl to coat pan. Add mushrooms, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until mushroom edges begin to brown. Stir in garlic and arugula and cook until arugula wilts.
3. Add egg mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until eggs are almost set. Fold in ricotta and let cool 5 minutes.
4. Spoon egg-ricotta mixture into center of each pastry square, dividing evenly. Place a reserved square on top, aligning the edges and pinching together. Poke center of each square with a fork. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Melt remaining 1 tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add tomatoes and sriracha and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
6. Transfer squares to four plates, then top each with 1/4 cup fromage blanc. Spoon tomatoes over fromage blanc, dividing evenly.