These steps are based on the time it takes one person with one oven to prepare this meal.
UP TO A WEEK AHEAD
- Bake cranberry sauce.
AT LEAST 3 DAYS AHEAD
- Bake spicy herb nuts.
- Put frozen turkey in the refrigerator to thaw.
UP TO 2 DAYS AHEAD
- Shop for all other ingredients and turkey, if fresh.
- Bake cornbread for dressing.
- Prepare yeast dough for rolls.
UP TO 1 DAY AHEAD
- Assemble dressing and chill if the turkey will be stuffed. Or put dressing in casserole and chill.
- Make salad dressing, toast nuts for salad, and crisp salad greens.
- Cook and peel onions; string and shell peas.
- Make and thicken broth for gravy.
- Bake rolls.
- Bake apple pie, purchased frozen or made from a favorite recipe. Or make a grand holiday dessert.