Choose your breakfast: Healthy or hedonistic?
Take your pick: A breakfast to fuel your plans for the day, or a post-party brunch that’ll make you feel human again
You’re up at dawn with big plans for your new year. Dig into this:Menu (recipes on following pages):
- Five-Grain Buttermilk Pancakes with Raspberry Honey
- Francie's Fruit Salad
- Green tea
- Carbs from pancakes and fruit to fuel a run or bike ride
- Antioxidants, vitamin C, and potassium from green tea and fruit salad
- Fiber from whole grains and fruit
Simmer 1 tbsp. chopped candied ginger in 1/4 cup water, covered, 2 minutes; purée in a blender. In a bowl, mix segments cut from 3 oranges, 3 sliced peeled kiwi fruits, 11/2 cups fresh pineapple wedges, and 2 sliced bananas. Gently stir in syrup. Serves 4.
It's 1 p.m. and you've just crawled out of bed. Here's what to eat, fast:Menu (recipes follow):
- Speedy Huevos Rancheros
- Hair-of-the-dog Pineapple Soda
- Coffee & plenty of water
- Calories 709
- Bold flavors (but not too spicy) to burn through the fog
- Protein (37 grams), which breaks down into amino acids that help rid you of toxins
- Vitamins to replenish what the party ripped out of you
- Rehydration after a boozy evening (have water on top of soda)
You must, however, buy all of the groceries ahead of time. Then you’ll be ready to go on New Year’s afternoon, when you wake up and need your huevos.
Recipe: Speedy Huevos Rancheros
Recipe: Hair-of-the-dog Pineapple Soda
More: Mexican sides