Beautiful make-ahead Easter brunch
A delicious, make-ahead feast for Easter, or even a lazy Sunday with friends
Asparagus and morel quiche, ham with sticky Meyer lemon–spice glaze, and citrus salad make up this elegant spring feast. And best of all, most of the preparation can be done the day before.
Get started the day before:
- Quiche: Bake and chill.
- Ham: Trim and score ham (step 1 of recipe); make glaze and chill (step 2).
- Buns: Bake, but don’t add icing.
- Citrus salad: Prepare and chill.
- Watercress salad: Stem watercress and make dressing; chill them separately.
Finish up in the morning:
- 2½ hours before: Start baking ham.
- ½ hour before: Put quiche and buns into oven with ham (tent both with foil). Make fresh o.j. and orange slices for drinks.
- 15 minutes before: Remove buns from oven and ice them. Set out ham and salads; dress the watercress.
Recipe: Asparagus and Morel Quiche
Or use orange marmalade in its place: Heat 18 oz. thick-cut marmalade until bubbling, strain well, and substitute 1/4 cup of the syrup for the granulated sugar in step 1 and 1/2 cup orange pieces for the candied orange in step 2; add 1/4 cup extra flour in step 3.
Recipe: Orange Hot Cross Buns
2. Lemony Watercress Salad: Make a vinaigrette with 2 parts extra-virgin olive oil to 1 part fresh Meyer lemon juice, plus salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Gently mix in 2 qts. watercress sprigs (snap off tough stems). Serves 8.
3. Campari and Orange Sodas: For each serving, pour ½ cup cold club soda into a glass with a few ice cubes. Add 3 tbsp. cold fresh orange juice and 1 tbsp. Campari (or more if you like). Garnish with an orange slice.